Pages

4 May 2010

The Substitute Bride by Janet Dean and review





Fleeing an arranged marriage, debutante Elizabeth Manning exchanges places with a mail-order bride bound for New Harmony, Iowa. Life on the frontier can't be worse than forced wedlock to pay her father's gambling debts. But Ted Logan's rustic lifestyle and rambunctious children prove to be more of a challenge than Elizabeth expects. She doesn't know how to be a mother or a wife. She doesn't even know how to tell Ted the truth about her past-especially as her feelings for him grow. Little does she know, Ted's hiding secrets of his own, and when their pasts collide, there's more than one heart at stake.


My Review:
Firstly Thanks Janet for a copy of this book I was so excited to win a copy.
I loved this book also. (I know I say I love most books I read that is partly cos I know choose the genres I enjoy and mainly read books that are my types of books)
Back to this book, I enjoyed reading about the mail bride story. How Elizabeth takes over the part of the mail-order bride is an interesting turn of events and love how when she arrives and marries Ted she is nothing like what he expected. She goes from a debutante to a farmers wife being expected to cook, clean and care for his 2 children. Now the cooking is an interesting experience.  I also love some of the towns folk some of them steal the scene at times. I also appreciate one of the topics of this book dealing with gambling. My mother was a compulsive gambler when she was younger she stopped when she became a christian but it was hard. It was because of Gods help she was able to stop and I do appreciate Janet tackling this subject as it is a very relevant subject still today. Great book.

1 comment:

Janet Dean said...

I'm delighted you loved The Substitute Bride, Jenny! I enjoyed writing the light-hearted scenes in the book. And had fun with the Oscar and Cecil, the Moore brothers, no doubt the scene stealers you mention. Hopefully, they only eased the tension but didn't totally distract the reader from the hero and heroine. :-)

Examining the heartbreak of living with compulsive gamblers was far more difficult to write, as I'm sure you can understand. Praise God for your mom's healing. There's nothing easy about overcoming addiction.

I love historical romance and its happy endings, but don't want my stories to be fluff. I want them to be relevant for today's readers so each of my books centers around issues people struggle with and overcome in real life with God's help.

Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...