Pages

26 October 2012

Getting to know you Thursdays with Dana Mentink


Please welcome Dana Mentink to my blog today. Dana writes suspense for Love Inspired and also has a book coming out in June with Moody. Welcome Dana




1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
A little about myself…I’m California baby, born and raised here (mostly.) We’re talking Northern California where we do have seasons and winter frost and no sandy beaches. I’ve been married for 17 years to a retired firefighter type and we have two girls who are entering the dreaded teen years. Prayers appreciated!

2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
As a child, I was a huge L. Frank Baum fan. I read all the Oz books (still have the set) and relished the imaginative details which got me started writing stories (and daydreaming in class during math lessons!)

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and right write?
I love anything mystery/suspense related, some thrillers if they aren’t too gory and literary fiction. About the only genre I don’t really enjoy is paranormal stuff. Can’t get into vampires and werewolves.

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
I was influenced by Agatha Christie, of course, and later Jan Karon. Can that woman write or what? Harlan Coben is the best for those twisty plots. (Jenny here I loved Agatha Christie and still remember some of the books I read.)

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I’ve always written stories, but I didn’t approach it professionally until about 14 years ago when I decided to leave teaching for a while and stay home with my babies. Finally I had the time and my husband gave me the gentle shove of encouragement. Once I got that first book published (the first Finny mystery) I was hooked.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
I sort of fell into writing professionally. I was part of the American Christian Fiction Writer’s loop and I posted something about Christian cozies. Susan Downs (then from Barbour) saw my message and asked me to send along Trouble Up Finny’s Nose. That really got the ball rolling and after that three book series wrapped I was picked up by Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense. That was 12 or so books ago and I’m still writing for them.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
I have two work related passions, writing and teaching. I write part of the week and teach third grade the other part, so really I am blessed to be able to have my cake and eat it too.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
I’m a huge reader (no surprise) and I love antiquing, the theater, walking and cooking. (Just not all at the same time. Ha!)

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
I dearly love our own little Half Moon Bay here on the California coast. It’s the type of beach community the Finny series is modeled after. Usually I write books about places I’d love to go. So far I’ve “fictionally” explored the Badlands, Alaska, Guatemala (in a new book which releases in June from Moody) and I’m working on one in American Samoa.

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
If I could have a meal with three people I’d choose my husband, because he’s my best friend, Bill Cosby for the comic entertainment and Billy Graham because I admire him tremendously. How’s that for an interesting dinner party?


Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.

As far as current works go, my next Love Inspired Suspense releases on November 1st.  Entitled Dangerous Melody, it’s the second in the Treasure Seekers Series and this time the prize is a priceless violin, lost for decades. In May, the third in that series will come out, entitled Last Resort. You won’t believe the treasure in that one! 

A new venture for me is Jungle Fire, a romantic suspense that releases in June with Moody, about a missionary who is being hunted in the Petén jungle. Bring your bug spray along for that one! If you need any more info or you just want to “cyber chat,” you can find me at www.danamentink.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks very much for hosting me today. God bless!

1 comment:

Dana Mentink said...

Thanks very much for having me, Jenny! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...