Pages

2 August 2012

Getting to know you Thursdays with Deanna Nowadnick


Please welcome Deanna Nowadnick to my blog today. Deanna has a book she wrote which memoirs of her life.

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I am married to my very best friend Kurt. Together we raised two delightful young men, Kyle (27) and Kevin (25). This fall Kyle is marrying a dear young lady, Katie. We are all tickled.
Kurt and I live in Monroe, Washington. It’s a small town that’s no longer a small town in the Pacific Northwest.
I didn’t plan to be a writer. Even though I majored in English in college, I never enjoyed writing assignments. I actually think it had more to do with being told what to write, rather than the writing itself.

2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
When I was a young girl, I LOVED NANCY DREW. I wanted to be Nancy Drew. Knowing how much I enjoyed the books, my mom always tried to get me to slow down, so the books would last longer than an afternoon. It didn’t work.

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and right write?
Lately I’ve been enjoyed more historical fiction (stories of possibility). I love reading about ordinary people who find themselves part of an extraordinary event.
My writing favors personal stories. Fruit of My Spirit and my next book, Signs in Life are memoirs of short stories. I love connecting with readers over camping woes or struggles as a teen.

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
I have many authors who inspire, encourage, and entertain me. Anne Lamott gave me the courage to write and keep writing. Jane Austen warms my heart. Beth Moore feeds my soul and nurtures my faith. Steig Larsson wow’s me.

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I did not intend to write a book. I just wanted my sons Kyle and Kevin to know how I met their father. The chapter on Love went straight into the chapter on Self-Discipline. And by the time I was done with those two chapters, there was no stopping me. Even with a finished manuscript in hand, I didn’t use the word “author.” Later when I held the first copy, I smiled and said to anyone within earshot, “I wrote a book!”

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
Fruit of My Spirit was published independently through Rhododendron Books. I surrounded myself with a professional coordinator, editor, cover designer, layout person and web designer, and with their help, I got to publish the book I wanted to have in print. I love that the book has pictures as well as stories, even favorite hymns.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
I do have a “day job” with The Planner’s Edge, an investment advisory firm in Washington State. The boss and I have been together for 22 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of his practice and working with his clients. And since I telecommute, I have even more time to write!

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
I enjoy playing the violin on Sunday mornings. I love connecting and re-connecting with friends. With the help of another classmate, I’m planning our high school reunion. After 40 years, it’s great fun to think about getting together soon.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
Kurt and I love to go to Palm Springs, California each spring. As a family we also enjoy San Jose del Cabo on the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. I dream of spending a couple weeks in France or Italy one day soon, two great places to write. I imagine croissants, gelato, and short stories.

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
Michelle Obama, an intelligent, kind, gracious lady raising two beautiful daughters in the White House while supporting the Commander-in-Chief. I would thoroughly enjoy the time with her.
Beth Moore, an inspirational, motivational, thought-provoking writer and speaker. I am always amazed at how her words and stories resonate.
My husband Kurt, my all-time favorite dinner date. After being together for almost 40 years, I still treasure our time together. He’s just the best!

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
Fruit of May Spirit was released in January. The ebook became available in April. Both are available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
You can also connect with me online:
·         Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FruitofMySpirit
·         Twitter: @DeannaNowadnick
·         Website: http://fruitofmyspirit.com/

A Memoir of Short Stories by Deanna Nowadnick Is there really a place in God’s heart for a defiant child? In His divine plans for a self-centered teenager? In His family for an adult who gets tired and impatient? In a memoir of missteps and misdeeds, Deanna Nowadnick writes of the hugeness of God’s love and faithfulness. Reframing life in God’s grace, she discovers an indescribable, indefinable, inexplicable love that has encircled her without fail through joyous, sad, cringe-worthy, heartwarming, forgettable, memorable moments in life. “Fruit of My Spirit is beautifully written with intelligence and vulnerability. It is part Bible study, part memoir, part confessional. Every part of Deanna’s journey is moving, emotional, touching, and will inspire the reader to seek how God brings about His fruit in their own spirit. I not only enjoyed the book, but am excited and blessed to recommend it!” ~ Rev. Dr. Robin J. Dugall, pastor, professor, musician, teacher and follower of Jesus

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...