Pages

26 April 2012

Getting to know you Thursday's with Laura Hilton



Please join me in welcoming Laura Hilton to my blog this week. I have read Laura's The Amish of Seymour series and enjoyed them and after book three wrote to her telling her how much I appreciated the book. Through our conversations I asked if she would be on my blog. I am so happy she agreed and I am able to introduce her to some of my readers.

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Laura Hilton, her husband, Steve, and their five children make their home in Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas. She is a pastor’s wife, a stay-at-home mom and home-schools three of her children. Her two oldest children are homeschool graduates and are in college.  Laura is also a breast cancer survivor.

Her publishing credits include Hot Chocolate and Shadows of the Past from Treble Heart Books; a devotional in a compilation from Zondervan; and she has three books in the Amish of Seymour series from Whitaker House, Patchwork Dreams, A Harvest of Hearts, and Promised to Another. Laura has her business degree from Ozarka College and is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. Laura is a professional book reviewer for the Christian market, with over a thousand book reviews published at various online review sites.

2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?  
I read a lot as a child, anything I could get my hands on.  I don’t really remember any particular favorites, but I did read all the Grace Livingstone Hill books multiple times.

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and write? 
I love writing Amish, and contemporary, and I enjoy reading both of them.  There are some historical writers I like, some suspense writers, and some cozy mystery writers.  I don’t care for science fiction or fantasy.

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?  
Well, I would always say that Beverly Lewis was one of my favorite Amish authors but I didn’t discover her until I grew up.   One of the most influential authors I knew as a child wrote funny stories for the newspaper.  And she encouraged me to follow my dream.

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?  
I always knew I wanted to be an author.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?    
I wrote.  Though my first attempts probably aren’t fit to line a birdcage with.  I kept trying, and I joined ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) back in it’s beginning days, and I took classes, joined a critique group, and studied authors’ books that I love, to learn their techniques, and what worked for them.  I tried to study writers manuals but they are too technical for me. I did better studying published work.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?   
My goal in life was always to be a mom, a writer,  and a pastor’s wife.  If I had to work, I don’t know what I’d do.  I think sometimes about physical therapy. But not sure I’d have the patience needed.  I have business skills, I could work as a secretary or a receptionist.  And I have, in the past. I also worked in a post office.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?  
I like seeing new places and learning about them. I like talking with my friends.  I like spending time with my family.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?   
I would love to eventually visit England, I want to see “Big Ben”.  My sole reason for going there. 
   I Love to visit Michigan, there is so much diversity there, from Holland (with is built around the Netherlands) and Frankenmuth (a German community), and an Amish community, plus the Upper Peninsula, which is a different type of person completely – called Yuppers.    

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?  
I don’t know.  There are many I’d like to meet. I don’t know if I could pick three—and if I did, I’d probably be tongue tied and just listen to them talk—

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
You can find me on Facebook – Author Laura V. Hilton, or Laura Vernet Price Hilton.  I’m on twitter, Laura_V_Hilton, and I have a blog: http://lighthouse-academy.blogspot.com, or http://laurav.hilton.blogspot.com.  

The three books I have out are: Patchwork Dreams Book 1 of The Amish of Seymour,

Becky Troyer has committed the ultimate sin, and finds herself on the edge of her Amish community. Jacob Miller believes he was sent to the Old Order Community in Missouri to help out a distant cousin. Instead, he discovers he was part of an arranged swap--sending men from his Pennsylvania district to the Missouri district to bring new blood into the Amish community. Becky dreams of marriage, but doesn't dare hope that anyone would choose her--not with her history. Can God use the lies that have affected Becky and Jacob to bring them together? Or will Jacob rebel and head home to his first love?

A Harvest of Hearts Book 2 of The Amish of Seymour

Matthew Yoder volunteered to be part of the swap of Amish men from his Old Order Pennsylvania Amish Community, to the Amish community in Seymour, Missouri.  There is nothing for him in Pennsylvania, as the youngest of twelve children, and the lack of farmland around Lancaster County, he felt he could make a better future in another district. Shanna Stoltzfus has been raised Amish, and couldn’t wait for her rumspringa so she could pursue her education. She hated having to quit school in the 8th grade to stay home and learn everything that makes a home run smoothly. But now she has earned her GED and is taking college courses, but her family is begging her to come home; her little sisters miss her. And there’s something about newcomer, Matthew Yoder that draws her attention.  But is it enough to give up her dreams of education and join the Amish church?

Promised to Another Book 3 of The Amish of Seymour

Annie Beiler is an Amish school teacher. She was in love with an Amish man, Luke Stultz, but Luke left the Amish community during his rumspringa, but not without begging Annie to go with him. Now Luke is back, trying to win back Annie’s love. Joshua Esh may be Amish, but he has been bitten by the travel bug. He sees the opportunity to relocate from Pennsylvania to Missouri as a way to satisfy his longing to see another place yet remain with people of his faith. Joshua quickly notices the beautiful Annie, but Annie is slow to respond. With Luke in the picture, and Joshua’s admission that he willingly left his district, will either man be steady and dependable enough to win the gift of Annie’s heart?


I have a new book HEALING LOVE  releasing September 2012. 

Who knew Cupid had four paws? Amish midwife Kristine Lapp’s dog, Chinook, develops a slew of unfamiliar ailments that sends Kristi to Shane Zimmerman, their veterinarian neighbor. After Shane’s wife died in childbirth, Shane moves to Amish country to live and serve. Prejudiced against the herbal and natural remedies that Kristi uses in her practice, the vet is determined to avoid what his eccentric neighbor cooks up. Can God use a loyal pet to mix a little old medicine with new and bring two neighbors past their differences so they can find a love with a positive prognosis?
Jenny here, This book sounds really good I can't wait to get my hands on it. I have loved all of Lauras books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview! As a Pennsylvanian with Amish influences all around, I'm curious what the level of interest is among Australians with Amish culture.
Cathy Hickling

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...