Pages

21 May 2010

Getting to Know you Thursdays with Letitia Harmon

Please welcome Letitia Harmon to my blog today. Letitia is another new author to me and I have enjoyed getting to know her.



1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?I grew up in Kansas City, MO and was home schooled K-12. I attended Seattle Pacific University and studied abroad in Oxford, UK, and Salamanca, Spain. I fell in love with my husband in Oxford and we have now been married 4 1/2 years. I am a fitness trainer, transcriber for the deaf, and journalist in addition to being a novelist.

2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
I absolutely loved the Velveteen Rabbit when I was very young. As I got a little older and into mysteries, I gobbled up the "Happy Hollister" series in which a group of siblings solves mysteries around the world.

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and write?
My favorite genre to read is historical fiction. I think it's the lazy girl's education. I get entertained while I learn about history ;-)
My favorite genre to write is fantasy because I get to make up the rules!


4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
Definitely. Early on was obviously Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. In later life, I have been more influenced by contemporary authors, especially Salman Rushdie, Leif Enger, and Diane Setterfield.

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
When I finished a novel :-) Seriously I never intended to be a writer, but it is like a compulsion for me. I have been inventing or rewriting stories since I became literate.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
I have always had stories in my head. It's painful to keep them in after too long. They have to break out and the release you feel when you finally empty your brain of all the characters and scenes that have been bouncing around in there is enormous! I finally finished a book because I had the most boring job on earth. They just wanted me to sit at my desk and answer phone calls and emails as they came in. I decided to use the time to get my Regency Romance that I had been thinking about for years on paper.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
Even if I AM a writer, I still want to add another career: I want to design and run study abroad programs.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
Travel, dance, cook, workout, hike, play with animals, have good friends, good wine and good conversation.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
Oh my yes! Travel is a big passion for me. It is my life goal to visit every continent before I die (yes that includes Antarctica!). In the immediate future, I really want to see Southeast Asia, especially Thailand. Favorite place I have visited to date is the Cinque Terra in Italy.

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
I would pick smart comedians because that just sounds like a blast! Jon Stewart, Eddie Izzard, and Portia di Rossi top the list.

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.

My published novel is titled Heatherstone. It's a work of historical fiction set in Regency England. It will not be on the market for much longer, so if you want a first edition, snap it up! My website is http://www.letitiaharmon.com, and it is also available from Amazon. You can watch the book trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxTQhXKadg

Currently underway is my untitled fantasy novel that pits an underground women's movement of sorceresses against an oppressive patriarchal society. It will hopefully have a publisher within the year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...