Pages

3 December 2008

Christmas Focus on Snowbound Colorado Christmas with Susan Page Davis

The first of 4 interviews for Snowbound Colorado Christmas is with Susan Page Davis. I hope you will enjoy learning more about Susan also and please leave a comment.

Firstly thanks for coming back to my blog this time as we are focusing on Christmas.
So I thought I would have a few fun questions first.


1. For you what do you most associate with Christmas where you live?


A lot of evergreens grow here in Maine, so we have lots of Christmas trees, natural wreaths, and greenery around Christmas time. We nearly always have a white Christmas, though there have been two or three years I can remember when there wasn’t any snow on the ground Christmas Day. Usually that’s not a problem.

2. Do you have any special family traditions you do at Christmas time?
Yes, until my father’s death in 2006, the extended family gathered at my parents’ home, a 150-year-old stone farmhouse, on Christmas Eve. We enjoyed sledding and skating if the weather permitted, played games and ate lots while we visited. For several years we took part in readings of original poetry, usually poems that poked gentle fun at family members. In the evening we would open gifts. For a while we circulated the Cheap Skate award. This was an award my dad made from an antique ice skate and was presented to the person who bought the best gift for the least amount of money that year. It’s a bit sad that the large family gathering is gone, but I’m glad the grandchildren were able to be in on it. Now we children and our families celebrate in our own homes.

3. Do you have a favorite Christmas Carol and if so do you know why?
I love the traditional carols, especially Good Christian Men, Rejoice and While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night (it’s very singable—I avoid the ones that have a lot of high notes).

4. If you could spend Christmas anyway you could how would you celebrate?


I would bring all of our children (we have six), spouses of those who are married (three) and grandchildren (five) to our house for an old-fashioned gathering like we used to have at Mom and Dad’s. The married offspring live in Idaho, South Carolina, and England, all quite a ways from Maine, so they usually don’t make it for the holidays.

5. Now a few questions about Snowbound Colorado Christmas. I really loved the concept of this book. Was it hard to co-ordinate with the other authors?
No, the idea of the 1913 blizzard gave us all thoughts on how we wanted to present our stories. My heroine leaves the house party that opens the book, so I didn’t have to do a lot of coordinating with the others. Only minor details. The first two stories are quite intertwined, but the last two (mine and Darlene Franklin’s) go off in different directions in the storm.

6. What was the best part about writing the Novella?
This was a story I’d wanted to write for a long time, about homecoming and forgiveness. Working on the project with Tamela, Lena, and Darlene made it extra special.

7. I loved your western story and enjoyed the whole story you created. Did you have a theme when you were writing Almost Home?
Yes, reconciliation and forgiveness drive this story. Patricia and Jared are reunited and they want to reconcile, but the past feud between their families keeps them apart. Jared longs for Patricia and her Uncle Bill to forgive his father and accept him. He also wishes he could know that his father reconciled with God before he died. The wonderful thing about fiction is, you can make it all happen just the way it SHOULD be.

8. Do you have a Christmas message for my readers?
Make the most of this time with your family and spend some time contemplating the birth of Christ.
I hope all the readers will come visit me at www.susanpagedavis.com. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Phoebe said...

This sounds like a great book!

Anonymous said...

I would love to win this book.

Please enter me in the drawing.

Gayla Collins
gayla.c@bresnan.net

Cherie J said...

Wonderful interview! Thank you for sharing Susan.

Stormi said...

I love Christmas books, and this was great interview.

Thanks,
Stormi
ladystorm282001 at yahoo dot com

Pamela J said...

It is so sad but true that past feuds between family members keep them apart. This book will probably hit home in many hearts as they read.
I already have this book and am looking forward to reading! So glad you got to sign your book in my copy, Susan!
Pam W

Doreen said...

Very nice interview! I would love a copy of this book. purposedrivenlife4you (at) gmail (dot) com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...