Interview with D.C. Stewart:
1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I live in Oklahoma with my husband and our three children, 4 year old twin boys and a 6 month old baby girl. I love reading, writing, travel, sports, and helping others.
2. How did you know you wanted to be a writer, have you always had the desire or did it come later?
I have been writing stories for as long as I can remember, and read everything I can get my hands on. I don't remember ever wanting to do anything else. Well, that's not true. In the third grade I wanted to be an archeologist.
3. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
Maybe an archeologist. Or perhaps a museum curator.
4. What was you motivation for writing Where the Cows Hide?
I found out I was pregnant with twins, and began to think about all the fun "adventures" my
brother and I had when we were kids on our family's ranch. I wondered what sorts of adventures my own kids would have, and the idea for WWCH was born.
5. How do you come up with the characters for your books and are they modeled on people you
The twins are a combination of me and my brother as kids, my husband and his twin as kids, and what I imagine my own sons will be like when they turn 11 years old. The other characters are
indeed based on people I know. Family, friends, enemies, they all come into play in the book in
6. Did you grow up on a farm and have you any funny stories you would like to share?
Our house was in town, but we spent most of our time on the farms of all our family members.
One story about me, I was trying to get a gate open, tripped over a concrete block, and got hung
up on a chain attached to the gate. Cattle were trying to rush out, and I was waving my free arm
and kicking wildly, trying to keep the cows from getting away. My family saw me and thought I
was panicked about being stuck. They still make fun of me about that.
7. Brad and Charlie stay at their grandparents for an annual summer vacation. What's your
favorite place to vacation and why?
I don't really have one favorite place to vacation. I love to travel, so every trip is an adventure. I
love trying new food, taking in the scenery, and watching people. But my next dream vacation
would be a trip to Australia!! (Oh I would love to meet you when you make it here I even live in
a country town but there are more sheep than Cattle around here)
8. Can you tell us about any upcoming projects? Will there be more books about Brad and
I hope there will be four more books involving this troublesome trio of siblings. Brad and Charlie
will still be the main characters, but Zoey will also become more important as the books
9. Can we find you on the web?
My website is http://www.dcstewart.net/. I also have a Shoutlife page at www.shoutlife.com/dcstewart.
The book is available at http://www.amazon.com/ and on the publisher's website at
10. Do you have any final thoughts for us?
I just want to thank you so much for having me on your blog. It has been an honor, and I hope
everyone enjoys the book.
Thanks so much for agreeing to do an interview.
You're welcome. And thank you.
D.C. Stewart grew up in a small town in Oklahoma, and spent most of her childhood getting into trouble with her younger brother on their ranch. She began writing short stories in high school, and won a writing competition at a nearby college at age 17. After graduating, she attended Northwestern Oklahoma State University and earned a degree in History, and also met her husband, Scott. She worked for a church in Maumelle, Arkansas as the Communications Coordinator for five years. After moving back to Oklahoma, she chose to stay home with their four year old twin boys, and six month old baby girl, and to pursue her dream of being a full-time writer. The Stewart's live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Where Would Cows Hide? is her first novel.
Read the first chapter here
WAYS TO WIN
Author D.C. Stewart is giving you a chance to win a copy of WHERE WOULD COWS HIDE?, and more! Here's how to enter for a copy of WWCH and to enter the grand prize drawing:
1) leave a comment on this blog post (or on any of the blogs participating in the blog tour);
(contest on my blog ends midnight May 4th Australian time)
2) email the contest coordinator at email@example.com with subject line "WWCH ENTRY";
3) join D.C. Stewart's ezine list by either sending a blank email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dcstewart_ezine/ and subscribing through the yahoogroups page.
Book winners and the GRAND PRIZE WINNER will be drawn on or before May 31st, 2008 and will be notified by email. Please make sure you leave a valid email address on applicable blog posts.