Pages

21 May 2013

Three Reasons to Listen to the Enemy By Lynn Hare


Three Reasons to Listen to the Enemy
By Lynn Hare

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
– James 4:7 (ESV)
Pay attention to the enemy of your soul. He’s got something you need.
Following a car accident in February, I was laid up with leg, back, neck, and facial injuries. By March, I was still in so much pain, I couldn’t even get comfortable in bed.
I told my husband, “This morning I didn’t want to get out of bed. The pain is winning.” My head dropped to my chest.
But I listened for Jesus’ voice. I heard Him whisper, “Those thoughts are not yours. The enemy is in your head.”
How do we wage war? By listening to the enemy. Here are three reasons:

1.) The enemy will show you where on the battlefield to fight.
When we hear, “I’m not making any progress,” we need to look for growth.
When I said, “I’m not getting better,” I frowned at the bald-faced lie. “Hey,” I said, “No wonder I’m under attack. I’m about to improve!” Determined, I rode my exercise bike and stretched my leg muscles. I was rewarded with a surge of energy. The next day, instead of two crutches, I was on one.

2. Like negatives from a camera, the enemy shows you the reverse of the truth.
Like photos developed in a dark room, black becomes white. Red turns green. Yellow is soon purple. When the enemy shows us an image, we need to declare its precise opposite.
I caught myself saying, “I feel lonely and isolated.” But then I glanced at the stack of get-well-soon cards and meals friends had dropped off. “NO!” I said aloud. “I have lots of friends!”
I determined to write two letters of encouragement each night.

3.) The enemy unwittingly drops hints that point to our future.
When I looked in the mirror, I thought, “Look at the swelling over my eye. What a loser!”
But instead, I looked ahead to what God was shaping me to become. I said aloud, “I’m a winner!” I doubled my words of encouragement to others. Several told me they were uplifted and strengthened.
And now the enemy was no longer in my head. I grinned, leaned forward and asked, “What else have you got?” He scowled and backed away. “Forget it.”
What lies from the enemy are pointing you to the Truth?


Lynn Hare Bio:
Author, speaker, and certified teacher Lynn Hare enthusiastically provides grace-filled messages about encouragement, prayer, and practicing the presence of the Holy Spirit. A member of Oregon Christian Writers, she lives in Portland with her husband, Tim, of thirty-two years. Her inspirational pieces appear in numerous Christian periodicals. Website: www.lynnhare.com

This article content is provided free of charge by the author through
Kathy Carlton Willis Communications. You are welcome to place this article on your site or in your publication as long as: 1) it’s used in its entirety, 2) the full bio is also used, and 3) you previously request permission through KCWC at kathy@kathycarltonwillis.com.
All other standard copyrights apply.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...