Pages

11 June 2010

Getting to know you Thursday with JoAnn Carter

Welcome JoAnn Carter to getting to know you Thursdays. I have gotten to know JoAnn on one of the email loops I am on.








  1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
  2. I was born and raised in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Nine years ago our family (my husband, our four children, and I) moved to the beautiful hills of Northern Vermont. I have worked as a Licensed Practical Nurse, an apple orchard guide, and as a substitute teacher. Currently, I'm a home-schooling mom who loves to write whenever I get the chance.
     
  3. When you were a child did you have a favorite book or books?
As a young child I soaked up any and all of the Berenstain Bear books. I would memorize the stories by listening to my parents read them to me. After a while, I would recite the words on the appropriate page… I thought I was "reading." 

3. 
Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and right write?
I enjoy many different types of stories, but my favorite is Inspirational Romance. Perhaps that’s why I tend to write mostly Inspy’s. 

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
There are so many wonderful, talented authors that have inspired me. I’d have to say as a young woman, Janette Oke was one of my favorite authors along with Frank Peretti. I love how these authors blend faith and storytelling together to make a beautiful thing.


5. 
When did you know you wanted to be an author?
This is a very interesting question. Unlike many other authors, I would never say writing has always been a dream of mine, or that I started writing when I was young. In fact, when I was in school, English, as a subject, was never my strength.
 
However, in my husband’s line of work, he is out many evenings. When we were expecting our first child, I decided one day that I’d like to try to write a story. I wanted to encourage women, as I had been encouraged through the stories I had read. I never really set out to be an "author" but rather just to write a book. And that’s how this whole journey began.
 
6. How did you go about becoming an author?
I went about becoming an author through what my grandpa would say, "the school of hard knocks." J When I began, I had no idea what I was getting into. It’s a long journey, but worth the struggle. I love the challenge of the whole writing process. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’ve learned and continue to learn-- not only about the craft, but life lessons such as patience, perseverance, humility, and so much more. It’s been an incredible experience and doubly rewarding to grow as both a writer and a person.


7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
Actually, I ask myself this question often. What do I want to do when I go up? J The only thing I’m sure of is—I want to do and go where ever God leads me. I try to hold writing loosely in my hand so it doesn’t become an idol. That might not make much sense, but as a writer, it’s very hard to maintain balance. I become so invested in my project that it’s hard for me to listen to God’s voice and direction. 

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
I love to spend time with my husband, Glenn, our four boys, and our dog, Ginger. There’s nothing like walking and watching sunrises and sunsets over the mountains here in Vermont. I enjoy spending time in my Bible, listening to music, sharing a good joke, warming up by a fire on a cold day, and working in the garden in the summer time. Hmm, I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
I enjoy traveling and visit new places. It’s been a dream of mine for many years to visit Africa and work on a short-term mission project there.

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
I’m such a homebody! The first person who comes to mind is my husband, because I love being with him. And you know what—all types of famous people are drifted through my head, but I must say I’d rather be with my family than with anyone else. Could we pull up a few extra chairs?

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
 
I’d love to!

Current Books:
Daniella:
When Harrison Beckman meets his father’s secretary, Daniella Duncan, she’s shy and self-conscious. Harrison, however, is determined to get to know her better. Before he gets to do that a rival comes along to steal Dani’s heart as quickly and thoroughly as the company’s contracts, which have been disappearing.

As the mystery unfolds, Harrison has to fight for the woman he loves, even though this means crossing swords with his father and his determined adversary. Will Harrison be able to find the love that could await them or will it be too late?
You can purchase this story for $3.50 at whiterosepublishing.com Buy Link 
 
By The Book :
Perky 24 year old police dispatcher, Sarah Murphy, is held captive by images of her past. She doesn't trust men and is determined to hold onto her heart at all costs. Lieutenant Dylan Eldredge of the Hampton Police Department believes she’s the woman God has intended for him and is equally determined to have her for his wife. But can he prove he’s the man for her?
Buy By the Book Here! ($2.00)
 


Smuggler of the Heart:
Disheartened and tired, Samantha Warren returns to Vermont during the winter break. Her passion for history rekindles after finding an old smuggler?s chest hidden in her grandparents' attic. Will she be able to return to New Jersey without her heart being smuggled like the chest once was? Or is it already too late?
Buy Smuggler of the Heart Here! ($2.00)
 



Teacher’s Plans:
When Amanda Manning, an exhausted, short-handed special education teacher, is given an assistant, things don't turn out as she planned. Her new assistant is anything but what Amanda expected—most strikingly, a male.
Tracy Atkins secured a job as a teacher's assistant, but will he be able to secure the hand of the woman he is falling in love with? Especially when she finds out about the secret he is hiding?
Come join their adventure as both Amanda and Tracy learn that God's plans are far better than their own. (Jeremiah 29:11)
Buy Teacher's Plans Here! ($6.00)
 
You can find me on the web at

8 comments:

JoAnn said...

Thanks for having me here today, Jenny!

Clare Revell said...

Lovely interview. I'm reading Frank Peretti atm. Only bugbear is his head hopping but I can cope with that lol

JoAnn said...

Did you know Peretti even wrote books for children? My boys ate them up. They're a series "Cooper Kids."

JoAnn said...

I should give folks a heads-up. White Rose Publishing has reworked it's webpage so I noticed that the "buy" links to these stories are broken.

If you head directly over to Whiterosepublishing.com you can access the books that way.

There is also a free read, "Finders Keepers" that was recently released.

Marianne Evans said...

JoAnn, I devoured Daniella - and Finders Keepers is a great read, too. I loved it. I feel blessed by your cyber-friendship. Keep the pen to paper, you're one heck of an author. Great interview, ladies!

Anonymous said...

What Marianne said. Yep, that's what I say too. :)

JoAnn said...

Marianne & Delia,

Your words both humble and encourage me.

Thanks so much for your friendship!

Donna B said...

Having read them all, I think their great, JoAnn! Good luck with any future stories - I'll be watching!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...