Pages

23 April 2010

Getting to know you Thursday with Ann Shorey


Please welcome Ann Shorey to my blog today. Ann has a couple of books out at present.
Thanks Ann for being on my blog today.




1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
 I've imagined stories in my head most of my life, but it wasn't until around ten years ago that I committed myself to writing novels. The first book in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Edge of Light, was contracted by Revell at the end of 2007, and released in 2009. Book 2 in the series, The Promise of Morning,was just released in March of this year.


2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
I loved the Oz books, and the Little House on the Prairie series. But I read constantly, everything I could get my hands on.

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and write?
Historical fiction is my favorite genre to write. I enjoy the research the stories require--I'm always learning something new about my country's history. As far as reading, I like most genres. It's fun to skip around and read a mystery, then humor, then a contemporary--whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. 

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
Going back to the Little House books, I'd have to say Laura Ingalls Wilder was one of my favorite authors when I was a young person, and her prairie stories probably influenced my love of writing historical fiction now.
5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
 In high school one of my English teachers encouraged me to become a writer, but wiser folks convinced me that I needed to focus on a career where I could actually earn some money. The dream didn't die, though, it just waited for me to make the time to write.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
I took a number of writing classes, both college-level and at writer's conferences, and plunged in. I started with articles and stories in anthologies like the Chicken Soup books, then wrote a nonfiction family history. All the blank spots in my family chronicles set me on my path to novel writing.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
 I'd like to own a little cafĂ© that sold desserts. I love to bake, especially pies.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
 I enjoy hiking, spending time with my husband, and playing with our dog.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
 We've been to Australia and New Zealand, and I'd love to go back with unlimited time and finances. I'd also like to re-visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and other Civil War battlefields here in the States. (Jenny here I would love to visit Gettysburg and the other battlefields one day)
10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why? I'd choose Barbara Kingsolver, on the hope that her writing skills would rub off on me; Colin Powell, because I admire his integrity; and Max Lucado, because of his ability to make Scripture relevant to today.

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
You can find me on the web at http://www.annshorey.com. When you visit my site, be sure to click on the Novels tab to read the first chapter of The Promise of Morning.
The Promise of Morning is the second book in the At Home in Beldon Grove series. These novels are set in pre-Civil War Illinois. A word to readers who don't like series because you have to buy the next book to read "the rest of the story": Each of the novels in the Beldon Grove series will stand alone, although since all the characters live in Beldon Grove, you'll still get to spend time with your favorite people from the previous books.
Here's a quick look at the plot of The Promise of Morning:
    Ellie Craig believed her marriage to Matthew, the pastor of Beldon Grove's church, would flow from blessing to blessing. He's always been the leader in their household, giving her a comfortable life.
    Then they lose three children in infancy and her world reels, leaving her vulnerable to the attentions of the recently returned son of Beldon Grove's founder. When Matthew suddenly makes a decision that leaves Ellie alone with their older children, she realizes her actions have driven him away.
    Now Ellie must search within herself for the answers to her problems. Will she be able to open her heart to her husband? Or did her actions destroy any chance they had at happiness?
From the back cover:
"Through vivid characters and a story that keeps us turning pages, we are assured that God keeps his promises. A fine read."
    Jane Kirkpatrick, award-winning author of All Together in One Place and A Flickering Light.
"Ann Shorey at her best. You'll be captivated from the heartrending opening until the final courageous scenes of this true-to-life story about heartache, hope, and trust."
    Bonnie Leon, author of the Sydney Cove series.
"A compelling novel dealing with timeless issues of pride, trust, love, and tragedy, The Promise of Morning is a redemptive story where true love and forgiveness conquer all."
    Maggie Brendan, author of The Heart of the West series.
Thanks so much for your interest.

1 comment:

Ann Shorey said...

Hi Jenny, Thank you for hosting me on your lovely blog.
Blessings,
Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...