Pages

26 March 2010

Getting to Know you Thursday with Amber Stockton

Today we welcome Amber Stockton to getting to know you Thursdays. Its great to have Amber here again and learn more about her.


1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
(Tiffany) Amber Stockton is an author and freelance web site designer who lives with her husband and fellow author, Stuart, and their toddler daughter in beautiful Colorado. They also have a vivacious puppy named Roxie, a Border Collie/Flat-Haired Retriever mix. Amber has sold eight books so far to Barbour Publishing with more on the horizon. Other credits include writing articles for various publications, five short stories with Romancing the Christian Heart, and contributions to the books: 101 Ways to Romance Your Marriage and Grit for the Oyster. Read more about her at her web site: www.amberstockton.com.

2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
I'd have to say first and foremost were the Little House on the Prairie books, but I also loved just about any of the Little Golden series, fairytales and Aesop's Fables. But by far, my favorite was an illustrated version of the Bible accompanied by a set of records (yes, I'm dating myself) with the story in dramatized version including different voices for the different people in the stories, sound effects and a narrator. My brother and I would sit for hours listening to the records and following along in the books. (Jenny here I use to love the little golden books use to buy them with my pocket money)

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and right write?
Definitely historical fiction, with a focus on the 1800's. I'm currently working on a western-style series, although some of the overtures have a prairie feel to them, even though they're set in Wyoming. Once in a while, I enjoy romantic comedy.

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
Janette Oke in the 1980's, along with Judy Blume. Once I discovered Christian fiction, it was Tracie Peterson and several authors in the now-out-of-print Serenada Seranta/Saga line from Bethany House. Barbour Publishing took over their style with their Heartsong Presents line. And ironically, that's the line for which I currently write. (Janette Oke got me back to reading with her Canadian West series and I have to day I love Tracie Peterson.)

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I've been telling stories and writing them since I was a child, but I'd have to say it wasn't until my senior year in high school that the "bug" bit me. After seeing my English teacher share stories of her books and after I received the highest grade in the class on a children's book I'd written and illustrated, I entertained the notion that I might be able to do something with my love of writing.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
First and foremost, I read a lot. A LOT! I also networked with other authors, wrote to them to ask advice, read interviews by them, spent time in bookstores looking at how-to books, and did a good bit of writing. But it wasn't until I joined ACFW at the recommendation of Tracie Peterson, that I really felt my career begin to take off. It was at their first conference where I met my first editor and learned all about the business of writing. Thanks to the opportunities offered by ACFW, I can say I'm a published author today.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
Hmm, that's a tough one. So much of my life is writing, and I find such joy in it. I can't NOT write. But, I did go to school to become a teacher, and I have my own business as a web designer. So, either one of those would work, although I would probably lean more toward teaching.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
I love to travel, and I've been to all but 11 of the United States, as well as 4 foreign countries. After this year, the state count will go down 9. I also love watching classic movies, playing logic-style games on the computer, and I consider myself an amateur photographer.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
I live here. LOL! Seriously, the mountains have always called to me, and I love everything about them. Living in the midde of the Rocky Mountains is a dream come true. But, a part of me would love to visit Europe and Australia. Only God knows if that will ever become a reality. (would love to see you visit here I love Australia and we do have mountains!)

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
Hmm, usually, this question is about people who are no longer living. So, let's see. Karen Kingsbury, so I can learn how she does what she does with 6 children at home and still manages to pump up best-selling book after book. Sarah Palin, to simply listen to her fresh outlook on life and share with her in our similar perspectives for America. James Scott Bell, simply to be entertained and to glean even just a smidgeon of his phenomenal wisdom for writing.

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
Right now, my first omnibus (collection of my first 3 books) is releasing in March. It's entitled Liberty's Promise and has an absolutely gorgeous cover. A definite favorite. My next omnibus releases in December, and right now is tentatively titled Michigan Brides. You can keep up with my writing and my new releases, along with my blog at my web site: www.amberstockton.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...