Pages

25 September 2009

Getting to know you Thursday with Bonnie Leon

Firstly sorry for the delay. my connection was playing up. I think it was a problem plug. I have changed it and have stay connected. But I lost connection last night and again today. would be one for a few minutes then would lose it.


Today we welcome Bonnie Leon to my blog for Getting to know you Thursdays. Welcome Bonnie.

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a late bloomer when it comes to writing. My first book didn’t publish until I was well beyond forty. I’ve been working hard since and have published sixteen novels, all historical or historical romance thus far.
My husband, Greg, and I are celebrating our thirty-eighth wedding anniversary on August 17th. We met when I was seventeen and he was nineteen and we were married two years later. So we’ve known one another most of our lives.
We have three grown children—Paul, Kristi and Sarah—and four grandchildren—Corey, Ezra, Gabe and Olivia. And I agree with those who say grandparenting is more fun than parenting.  It’s way fun.
Presently Greg and I live in the foothills of Southern Oregon, but our home is for sale. No takers yet so for now we’re content to remain in our forest home.


2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
Some of my childhood favorites were Big Red, Black Beauty and the Helen Keller story. I think I read almost every Nancy Drew book written up until I was a teen-ager. After that Victoria Holt got a hold of me and I devoured gothics. As an older teen I moved on to books like The Hobbit and Hawaii. To this day I think Hawaii is my all time favorite book. I need to read it again, it’s been a while. (Jenny here, I loved Helen Keller's teacher when I was a child)

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and right write?
My favorite genre to write is historical fiction or historical romance. It’s also my favorite to read. However, I love women’s fiction and truly enjoy everything except Sci-fi (can’t make heads or tails out of most of it) and I don’t like anything terrifying. (Jenny again, I love historical fiction or romance best also haven't read much Sci-Fi but have to say stargate sg1 and atlantis is my favourite tv series dont like terrifying either)

4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
There are many wonderful authors but one that I’ve always admired is John Steinbeck. His books look at the darker side of mankind, but his writing is captivating, gritty and real.
In the Christian market I’d have to say that Francine Rivers is still my favorite author. However, there are some really fine writers out there such as Ann Shorey and Susan Meissner. I could include a list, but there’s not room.

5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I’ve always been a reader and the idea of writing never occurred to me until 1989 when a need to put down my thoughts on paper got a hold of me. I started writing short stories, poems and personal experiences. It was so much fun. Ideas just flowed out of me. However, I didn’t take any of it seriously until after attending an Oregon Christian Writing Conference in 1992. I returned home intent on writing a book.

6. How did you go about becoming an author?
As I mentioned in 1989 I played at writing and then in 1991 I was in an automobile accident. A log truck overturned and I lived to tell about it, which was a miracle. However, I was left unable to do the things I’d always taken for granted. After many months of testing and rehabilitation I was told by doctors that I’d never be able return to work. It was devastating and with a bleak future lying before me I asked God to give me something that I could do that mattered.
I started writing and the summer of 1992 I attended a four day writing conference. The teachers were fabulous and I learned enough to stumble my way through my first book, The Journey of Eleven Moons. I returned the following summer and sold the book to Thomas Nelson Publishing. It made the bestsellers list, which was an absolute shock.
I had a lot to learn as a writer so I kept writing and publishing and learning. Today I’m still writing and growing as an author. The learning never ends, which means writing continues to be fun.

7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
First off, I’d spend more time be a grandma. I love that.
Also, I oversee the women’s ministry in my church. Women’s needs have always been a passion of mine. I’m certain if I wasn’t writing I’d do a better job of helping the women in my community and my church. I’d also find more time to read and to travel. I love both.

8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
Because of my physical disabilities I’m limited, but on a good day I can still manage to go fishing. I love to sit along a remote river or float upon a mountain lake with a line in the water. It feels as if I’m resting in God’s house.

9. Do you have a place you love to visit or would love to visit?
The most spectacular place I’ve ever seen is the Grand Canyon. While doing research for a book I made a brief visit there. I’ve never forgotten it and I long to return and spend hours just sitting and praying and taking in the spectacular beauty. It is so clearly God’s hand print. I feel his presence there in a powerful way. I’ll go back one day.

10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
Three living people—I like this question.
1. I would love to sit down and visit with Maya Angelou. She has lived a “normal” and yet an “incredible” life. I love her gentle steady demeanor and words of wisdom seem to simply flow from her. Spending with such a woman would be a privilege.
2. I have great respect for George W. Bush. I know he took a lot of flack for some of his decisions, and I didn’t always agree with him on every issue. However, I believe he’s a man of principle. I would be honored to sit across the table from him. He stood by his beliefs no matter what the cost. I admire that.
3. I’d like to spend time with Sarah Palin without cameras or fan fare, just the two of us free to speak openly and transparently. She seems to be a down to earth gal who cares about her family and her country. I’d like to know her better.

Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.


I just had a book release in May. Enduring Love is the final book in the Sydney Cove Series. I think it’s a perfect ending to a good story. I hope those who haven’t had a chance to read it will give the series a try.




I’m also putting the finishing touches on my next book, Touching the Clouds, which is book one in The Alaskan Skies series. The release date was originally spring of 2010 but I don’t have an absolute date yet. It’s been a challenging book to write, mostly because I had a lot to learn about flying as well as difficulty pinning down my characters. But with help from my editor I think we’ve got a really good book and I’m excited for it to release. The year is 1935 and Kate, an Alaskan bush pilot, has too much to prove. However she is lovable. It’s a good adventure and lots of fun.

To find out more about me and my books readers can go to http://www.bonnieleon.com/

Back Cover – To Love Anew

Hannah Talbot has no one. Forced to leave the only home she’s ever known, she works for a cruel employer who brutally takes the one thing she has left—her dignity. When she is banished to an Australian prison she is certain God has turned his back on her. How could he—or anyone else—ever love her again?
John Bradshaw is a successful businessman, but his untamed spirit wants more. Little does he know what he will have to endure to find the adventure he seeks. Betrayed by those closest to him, he loses everything, even his freedom. There is no returning now. His life is not his own.
Now aboard a ghastly prison ship, John and Hannah are about to cross paths. What will happen when two hears filled with pain discover how to love anew?


Back Cover – Longings of the Heart

Hannah and John have embraced the wondrous land of Australia as their own. As they venture into the unknown to start a sheep farm, they must rely on God and each other to scrape out a living and fulfill their dreams of having a family of their own. But life on the fledgling ranch is fraught with pitfalls and hidden danger. And the past is finally catching up with them.
When a mysterious woman shows up in town, Hannah is in danger of her own dark secrets being revealed. Can John and Hannah weather the storm? Or will the harsh realities of life tear them apart?

1 comment:

M. L. Kiner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...